Do you have an idea for a book and want to write and publish it? Here are a few tips from our resident Library writer, Loreen Augeri:
1. Learn about the craft of writing. Read books concerning the subject, register for online courses, and join writing groups.
2. Find a block of time to write, even if it is a few minutes. They add up. Writing one page a day for a year produces a 365 page novel. The first draft doesn’t have to be perfect.
3. Edit, edit, edit. Read through the novel a number of times until it is the best it can be. Have someone else read it. As the author, you know how the sentence is supposed to read, so your eyes may miss typos and grammar mistakes.
4. Search for agents and publishers (large, small, and online) that deal with your genre. They usually state to send a cover letter, synopsis, and the first few pages of the novel. Self-publishing is also available.
5. Never give up and continue writing if you want to achieve your dreams.
Loreen is the author of three historical romance books. When not writing, reading, or walking, you may find Loreen in our Children’s Department.